The manager of Queens Park Rangers, Harry Redknapp, has said that he wanted to have the services of David Bentley, but, he wasn’t able to buy him during the mid season transfer window because the wage demands of the English winger were too high.
Bentley is currently playing on loan for the Russian club FC Rostov. But, his tenure over there hasn’t been that good so far. He had suffered an ankle injury in October last year because of which he had to miss quite a few matches. He has made 7 appearances for Rostov so far in this season, but, he hasn’t found the back of the net even once.
Redknapp had worked with Bentley during his 4 years tenure at Tottenham Hotspur. When asked whether he wanted to bring Bentley in the QPR camp, the QPR manager said, “Yes, I wanted to bring him over here. But, he wasn’t ready to play for us at slightly low wages. We couldn’t afford to pay him what he was demanding. So, we dropped the idea of buying him.”
“I worked with him for a few years. He is a fine player. Although, during my tenure at Tottenham, he didn’t get too many playing opportunities because of the presence of Lennon and Bale, but, in the limited no. of games that he played, he proved his worth.”
If Redknapp had bought Bentley, that would have surprised many people. This is because Bentley had a few controversies with Redknapp when the latter was in charge of Tottenham Hotspur.
However, Redknapp denied the facts that he didn’t have a good tuning with Bentley at Tottenham. Redknapp said, “These are just rumours. I didn’t have any problem with him. He is a nice guy and he was always very cooperative.”
The Tottenham midfielder David Bentley has said that he cannot wait to return to Tottenham and impress the new manager Andre Villas-Boas. The former Blackburn Rovers midfielder has been out on loan deals to various clubs across Europe, while he is currently at the Russian clubo FC Rostov.
He has been at the club for the last three months and is expected to return at start of the January transfer window. David Bentley was a £ 15 million signing from Blackburn many seasons ago, but has been consistently overlooked by the former manager Harry Redknapp. Now that he has been replaced by Andre Villas-Boas, Bentley is hoping that his fortunes at White Hart Lane will change.
David Bentley was once spoken of as the successor to David Beckham in the right of England's midfield.
However, his career has nosedived since joining Tottenham and he has been widely linked with a move elsewhere. The player, though, believes that he still has a future at Tottenham due to the fact that they are under the management of Andre Villas-Boas. Hence, he cannot wait to return to the club and show to the new manager what he can do. It will be interesting to see if he will fit in the fast and counter-attacking football adopted by the Portuguese.
“[Villas-Boas] is a very good coach. He’s got new ideas. He was very good with me but after spending a year out [injured] and then having players in front of you, you fall down the pecking order so you have to go away and get fit again. It’s been a difficult four years but that’s life and football. I’ll move on. I came here for three months. It was only 13 games to get back in to the swing of things," said David Bentley.
After missing the 3-1 victory over Reading on Sunday, several fans were wondering why defender Benoit Assou-Ekotto was not included in Andre Villas-Boas' squad. However, it has now come to light that the Cameroon international has suffered a knee injury and he looks set to miss the next four weeks.
Assou-Ekotto was replaced by Kyle Naughton at left-back, with the former Sheffield United defender surrendering his usual position as right-back. The move at least didn't seem to prompt any problems within the team, with Spurs comfortably beating their Madejski Stadium opponents by a 3-1 score line to net a first victory of the season. Should AVB wish to swap things about even more over the course of the next few months, summer signing Jan Vertonghen has had experience of playing on the left side of defence for his country and could be considered an option.
However, for the time being the focus will be getting Assou-Ekotto back to full fitness as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, the problem may not heal by itself and there is the chance that the 28-year-old could need surgery. Speaking about the injury, AVB said, "Benoit has a small fragment in his knee that makes it swell a lot. He has played through pain in the last couple of games. His knee may have to be washed out and if that happens we are looking at a four-week absence."
The news of Assou-Ekotto's injury will certainly be a huge blow to Spurs, who have relied on the former Lens man as their first choice left back for the past four campaigns. After joining in the summer of 2006, the player soon made the position his own and he's never looked back. He is considered as one of the best attacking full backs in the top flight and it’ll be interesting to see how the club cope with his absence on the left during the next few weeks.
The goalkeeper of FC Rostov, Stipe Pletikosa, has said that the club officials have done the right thing by signing the spurs midfielder, David Bentley, on a loan deal.
Bentley has been placed on loan to Rostov for six months on the last day of the pre season transfer window. Pletikosa told Tottenham news that Bentley is a terrific striker and his inclusion would prove to be beneficial for the team. Pletikosa had played for the Spurs on loan during the 2010-11 season.
As per Pletikosa, he had watched Bentley pretty closely during his 1 year tenure at Tottenham. Bentley has got great striking skills and he is very happy to have got the opportunity to play alongside Bentley again.
Bentley had joined Tottenham in July 2008 after leaving Blackburn Rovers. Tottenham had bought Bentley after paying a huge amount of 15 million pounds. He had played his first match for Tottenham against Middlesbrough in August 2008. The Spurs were defeated in that match by 2-1. His first goal for Tottenham was against Wisla Krakow. Bentley has never been able to cement his place in the first choice XI of Tottenham. He had spent the second half of the last season playing on loan for Birmingham City.
Meanwhile, there have been some reports that Bentley wants his tenure at Rostov to be extended till the end of the season. The manager of Tottenham, Andre Villas Boas, has clearly told Bentley that he is not going to get playing chances for the Spurs in the ongoing season. So, Bentley doesn’t want to return to Tottenham in the middle of the season. He wants to continue playing for Rostov till the end of the current season. Rostov has to play against Dynamo Moscow on 16th of September and Bentley is expected to make his debut for Rostov in that match.
Tottenham midfielder David Bentley has said that he wants to kickstart his career once again after falling down the pecking order at Tottenham. He is hoping that the arrival of a new manager Andre Villas-Boas will work in his favour.
The 27-year-old has not been utilised to a large extent by the former manager Harry Redknapp. David Bentley has attributed the timing of his arrival to the club as the sole reason for his struggles in the last few seasons. Despite being spoken of as the next big thing in English football, David Bentley had gone missing in recent seasons.
The former Blackburn midfielder arrived at Tottenham Hotspur in a deal worth £ 15 million, but after just a few months after his arrival, the manager who had brought him to the club was sacked and Harry Redknapp was brought in place. Even though David Bentley is blessed with a number of qualities, speed is necessarily not one of them. Harry Redknapp is the kind of manager who plays with a lot of pace on the wings. It has meant that Bentley has not featured as often as he would have liked in the last few seasons, which has led to the loan spells.
"With the new manager, the new era, the new training ground, hopefully I can be a new player, with a new attitude and a new way of doing things. This is a chance for me to get back on the good wave now and, if I can be a part of it, that'd be great. I've already spoken to the manager and he just said: 'You've got a clean slate, so do what you can do and try to impress. A lot of people will say I've not made the most of my talent and I feel the same," said David Bentley.
West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce has said that winning promotion with the team through the play-offs into the Premier league is the best moment of his career.
Sam Allardyce has previously won the promotion with Bolton, but has said that to do the same with West Ham means a lot to him. The former Bolton Wanderers manager could have easily been sacked if he had missed out on promotion this season. However, after sealing a return to the Premier league on the first attempt, Allardyce has revealed that he has already made advanced negotiations into a number of targets for the summer.
West Ham will be hoping to stay in the Premier league this time around. Even though Allardyce has been criticised for the style of play in the past, West Ham fans will certainly be happy to see them back in the Premier league. West Ham managed to secure promotion after a 2-1 win over Blackpool in the play-off final. Blackpool were coming into the match having already experienced the joy of promotion through playoffs. It looked like the match was going into extra time after it was 1-1 in the 85th minute. However, Ricardo Vaz Te stepped up in the 87th minute to score the winner for West Ham.
"It is great, right up there with the best for me because of the size of West Ham and the pressures. You get critics everywhere, a small minority who make themselves heard at every club, but the vast majority have been behind the team. It would have been devastating, according to the owners who would have had to decimate the wage bill by £10m, off-load players for little or no fee and still achieve what fans want," Allardyce said after achieving promotion with West Ham.
West Ham United have moved a step closer to making the Olympics stadium as their home after the end of the London Olympics 2012.
A lot has been spoken about the decision by West Ham to move to this 80,000-seater stadium, despite being in the championship. Many have been saying that West Ham will not be able to attract the 80,000-seat capacity even with Premier League status. Still, West Ham United's owners David Gold and David Sullivan seem to be very keen on making the Olympics stadium as the home for West Ham over the next few years.
A new milestone has been reached in this respect after it was revealed that West Ham United supporters have now reached an agreement with the club over this proposed move. The Olympic Park Legacy Company also moved in to make the prospect of West Ham United using the Olympic Stadium a reality. They have reopened the tenders for those interested in taking the Olympic Stadium as their new home. The tender will be closing by January end and West Ham United vice-chairman Karen Brady will be involved in a number of meetings until then to solve this issue.
West Ham United have been locked in a controversial battle with neighbours Tottenham Hotspur over the proposed move to the Olympic Stadium. Now, it seems that Tottenham Hotspur have to settle for their own stadium, while West Ham United will be moving to this extraordinary Stadium in London. "The Olympic Stadium will be a new national stadium for athletics and a multi-purpose venue that can host a full array of sporting, cultural and commercial events in one of the most exciting destinations in the world," said the chief executive of the OPLC, Andrew Altman. This comes as a major blow for Tottenham Hotspur.